Many women experience frustration and disappointment that coping with pregnancy is not as straightforward as they may have hoped. They’re often unaware of the options available to them to help optimise their physical and emotional health during pregnancy, and help them prepare for a straightforward birth.
Reflexology is one of the most popular complementary therapies used by women during pregnancy. Trials have found that those receiving regular treatments during pregnancy tend to deliver closer to term, have shorter labours and are less likely to require medical intervention.
As well as relieving anxiety and promoting a general sense of well-being, some specific benefits of pregnancy reflexology may include:
- Increasing energy levels
- Reducing fluid retention and swelling
- Aiding digestion and prevention of heartburn
- Improved sleep
- Relieving discomfort and back ache
- Reducing stress induced hypertension
- Relieving symptoms of symphysis pubis dysfunction
- Reducing the likelihood of medical induction at hospital
Sarah is part of The Birth Team, offering a comprehensive holistic approach to pregnancy, birth and post natal care in London and Hertfordshire.